Carlsbad, CA- March 26, 2018– AESC has delivered the most recent iteration of software tools for the Duke Energy Smart $aver incentive programs, utilizing Praxis- AESC’s custom software platform. AESC has been delivering technical services to Duke Energy across their service territory for the past six years (Since 2012 in NC, SC, IN, KY, OH, and 2015 in FL). AESC and Duke Energy conceived of an improved approach to engaging end-use customers, and capturing more energy projects, with use of software tools. With this current update, the Smart $aver Tools combine the best features of a modernized Praxis platform and the core aspects of earlier releases of the software:
- Comprehensive, multi-measure modules for HVAC upgrades and controls, lighting retrofits, fan optimization, VFD’s, among others,
- Transparent, accurate and defensible savings estimations based on decades of energy engineering, supported by a published methodology document,
- Whole building thermal modeling driven by 8760 weather data and regional climate zones,
- Selectable energy code baselines (ASHRAE 90.1 is pre-selected for Duke Energy),
- Web-based platform, cloud hosted environment, optimized for mobile devices,
- Intelligent and streamlined data inputs:
- Wizard-style approach guides user and makes input suggestions,
- Interactive estimation of savings and incentive as selections change,
- Auto-lookup and autocomplete function for lighting products qualified by ENERGY STAR and DLC,
- Auto-selection of prescriptive or custom program eligibility for lighting projects,
- Automatic report generation for immediate results and seamless application submittal to Duke Energy.
This latest iteration brings previously developed tools and modules onto the common Praxis platform. Additional development included aligning all custom calculation methodologies and adding prescriptive lighting measures, thereby providing customers and project proponents a one stop shop for participation in the Smart $aver program.
The initial suite of tools, called Custom-To-Go Calculators, were developed to ease the application process for the Smart $aver custom program, increasing program participation by providing a user-friendly method of conducting energy saving calculations to be submitted along with incentive applications. The initial suite of tools covered HVAC upgrades of many types, fans and pumps, compressed air, and lighting. Since implementing the tools, the application processing time has significantly reduced timelines for incentive reservation and payment, as well as the technical review by AESC. The tools were downloadable as executable files from Duke Energy’s website.
The next iteration of tools was an implementation specifically for Duke Energy’s Florida service territory. This iteration leveraged the achievements of the initial toolset, but was developed on AESC’s Praxis platform. AESC also enhanced the functionality through the creation of two new modes: “New Construction Incentive Wizard” and “Incentive Estimator”.
The “New Construction Incentive Wizard” offers a list of pre-defined energy efficiency measures, requiring minimal data input, that can be combined to create a comprehensive application for program incentives. Customers use the “Incentive Estimator” feature to evaluate new construction or retrofit projects which are not covered in the pre-defined list. Once project parameters are set, the savings, incremental cost, and incentive are calculated and summarized with respect to the ability pass the cost-effectiveness tests.
AESC is an energy engineering practice providing high quality engineering and management services to enable rapid deployment of efficient, cost-effective, reliable and environmentally friendly energy systems. AESC’s customized engineering solutions and services are provided to utilities, government agencies, and other organizations that seek to improve energy production, delivery, and end use. Founded in 1994, AESC has offices in Carlsbad, Pasadena, Oakland, and Fresno, California and also in Portland, Oregon and Charlotte, North Carolina.
For more information, connect with us on LinkedIn.
– ### –